Sunday, April 19, 2009

American Tabloid - post IV

At the risk of annoying Ellroy fans I have to confess that I'd hoped to be getting through this a little bit quicker. Maybe it's me and not the book but this is a lot slower going than I'd hoped.

Maybe some of the problem is the use of real history. As a result things are constrained in a way a completely fictional setting might not have suffered from. Mind you it's against the backdrop of an incredible few years that makes this work. So I can only conclude it's my problem. With things developing between the main two characters Boyd and Pete the clock is ticking down towards the bay of pigs invasion and with both characters banking on a victory you sense the failure there is going to have am impact on plot and pace.

Planning to get through it in the week ahead...