Saturday, May 15, 2010

bookshops you find yourself visiting - amazon.co.uk

This is a difficult one because everytime I buy a book from Amazon I feel as if I'm taking food out of the mouth of an independent bookseller and that is not a good feeling.

The problem is that when it comes to buying new releases in hard back it is very difficult ignoring Amazon because it does offer prices that are 50% or even more. So it was with a couple of clicks that this afternoon I found myself ordering The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, the new book from David Mitchell. At £8 something it is half the price of the £18.99 cover price.

It might well have saved me money but that feeling of guilt remains and sadly I'm not sure what to do about it. If I could afford to turn my nose up at the Amazon offer I would but I can't. The positive I guess is that I only buy one or two hard backs a year sticking to the paperback format nearly all the time because of the weight of books commuting.