Monday, September 08, 2008

Juggling more than a single book

Years ago at a 40th birthday party (not mine I might add) I drifted into conversation with a fellow unwilling invitee. We got talking about books and he said that he was currently reading 12 books. I asked him how and he did it and why and he said he wanted variety and as long as he picked them up pretty regularly he could remember what each book was about.

Well I have to confess that juggling three books has not been a pleasurable experience. Perhaps it is because Midnight’s Children and The President’s Last Love are long but you never get to actually finish anything.

So today I sat on the train and focused on finishing something. Sadly I am still thirty pages shy, which is why I am shortly decamping to bed with a strong light and the last chunk. But for a change and for the first time in the last couple of weeks I am hopefully going to be turning the light out with a bit if satisfaction.

I’ll post about it tomorrow…