Sunday, September 09, 2007

Who really has the time?

No time for reading today because it was a big family get together for my mother-in-law's birthday. But the subject of holiday reading came up and it gave me a chance to share my observations.

Those national newspaper supplements that interview the literati who all announce plans t head off for the sun with armfuls of books both fiction and non-fiction paint an aspirational but exaggerated picture of what is possible. Those people who read more than a couple of books must either not have children or have chosen to visit somewhere that requires very little movement off a sun lounger.

For most people - even those of us who pride themselves on reading for pleasure - it is just not possible to read great amounts and I suspect given my wife's amazing ability to find things for me to do even on holiday things won't change even when retirement comes in many years time...

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I'm in a similar position to you by the sound of things, although I do make a real effort to read while I'm away. often this involves staying up late to catch up when everyone else is in bed.
Sun lounger holidays are no good with kids in tow anyway as you're usually required for swimming pool duties.

simon quicke said...

I know exactly what you mean. The problem with staying up later than everyone else is that you are usually a bit grumpy the day after - at least that's my experience (everyday of the year!)