Friday, November 10, 2006

Winter Reading Challenge


I might be a it late with this but there is a Winter Stacks Challenge being promoted by Overdue Books going on at the moment encouraging readers to choose five books from their shelves that they will read over winter. In terms of working out where you go next in terms of book choices it is a great motivator. So these are my choices, some classics in there that I should have read before now:

James Joyce Ulysses
Gabriel Garcia Marquez Love in the Time of Cholera
John Steinbeck East of Eden
Mikhail Bulgakov The White Guard
Nikolai Gogol Tara Bulba

3 comments:

Brandon said...

I have this ambivalence towards James Joyce. I read "A Portrait of the Artist" earlier this year, as well as several stories from "Dubliners." I tried to tackle "Ulysses" as well, but I just wasn't in the mood for it. It's an intimidating book, and I commend anyone willing to tackle it. I also haven't read Homer's "Odyssey," and I had a lit professor who once said that to understand the allusions in "Ulysses," one has to read "The Odyssey." I guess I'm not quite at that stage in my literary tastes; I'm only twenty-five, after all, and I don't feel I have to read the really difficult books right away. I prefer to take baby steps.

I wish you the best of luck with the challenge.

Ex Libris said...

Hi Simon, great blog! I admire your From the Stacks Challenge list! I haven't read any of those, so will look forward to your comments - especially the Bulgakov and the Gogol.

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money